There has been an increase in incidents of "List linking" or "email cluster bomb" type spam attacks. This means signing a particular email address up to several email list subscriptions, usually marketing lists.
For example if you went to https://www.frontlineeducation.com/ and clicked the Learn More link you You would be asked to fill out a form that includes your email address. You would then get 1-5 emails from that company over the next week and maybe continue getting them periodically after that. Now imagine that a bot has gone around to 100 websites like this and entered your email address in an hour. You'll get hundreds of emails that hour, and many more for days or weeks after that.
Google and other email providers are working on ways to combat this type of attack. However, since the companies sending the email are legitimate they can't just block all messages coming from that domain.
Here are some things you can do to clear the clutter from your inbox:
- Turn on the Promotions Category & Tab
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- At the top right, click Settings Settings.
- Click the Inbox tab.
- In the "Inbox type" section, select Default.
- In the "Categories" section, check the Promotions box. Leave the Primary box checked also. Note that if you select Forums you campus emails will be going to the Forums tab and you will need to remember to look at that tab to learn what is happening at your campus.
- Scroll to the bottom, then click Save Changes.
- You'll now see your inbox is split into 2 (or more) Categories: Primary and Promotions (and possibly Social or Forums if you selected those) You can switch back and forth by clicking the words Primary or Promotions
- For more information see https://support.google.com/mail/answer/3094499
- Unsubscribe or Block emails coming from marketing lists you don't want. Most marketing lists have an unsubscribe link somewhere in the message. Sometimes it takes a while to get unsubscribed. You can also block emails from a particular company. Here's how to do that.
- Open an email from the company you want to block.
- In the upper right corner look for the three dots and click on them.
- Select Block "<company name>"